Friday, March 26, 2010

Lacuna, n.

It's not the most useless of words, but I love it anyways. It usually means a gap or missing portion of a text. Typically, this is in the context of an old document from which a component is missing. One thing I adore about the word is that the Latin origin means "basin". I'm always a fan of when a word's literal meaning evolves into a purely figurative one. Deee-liscious.

Another thing I dig about the word is that it can also be applied in a physical context to a small hole or gap. I'm not sure I like it in terms of a hole in the ground, but I'm incredibly tantalized to use it, say in a library. Imagine you're looking through a row of books and there's one missing; "there's a lacuna where my tome should be!".

Yes. Yes. By the end of the week, I'll use it in the physical context. And you should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment